Recorded Jazz & Absentee Auditions
GUIDELINES FOR VIDEO AUDITIONS
An absentee audition is allowed in circumstances where a musician cannot appear live for their audition. Jazz applicants have the option to audition on the Jazz Live-Audition dates, through video recording, or independently arranged with Jazz Program Director Dan Bell.
Follow below guidelines for submitting your RECORDED AUDITION (Jazz or Absentee).
1. Submit your Audition Application and associated 10$ fee.
2. Prepare your Audition with the requested Repertoire and Instructions.
3. Record your video audition following the below guidelines.
Video auditions are to be recorded in ONE TAKE and UNEDITED.
A musician's full body must be present in the frame.
Introduce your full name at the start of the video; name each scale and each etude or solor selection.
Audition repertoire must be performed in the order provided.
Be sure to carefully review Audition Repertoire & Instructions -- don't forget your scales!
3. Submit your Recorded Audition via email.
Send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Absentee Audition Link" or "Jazz Audition Link" in the subject.
Acceptable submission platforms are Vimeo, YouTube (unlisted), and Dropbox.
Note: Be aware of permissions and any required passwords. If we cannot open your video link, your audition cannot be considered.
JAZZ AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
ABSENTEE AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
Since the audition panel will not be able to control the audition or request scales and sight-reading, the following guidelines, which vary from a live audition, must be followed:
1. WOODWINDS + BRASS: play a chromatic scale from your lowest possible to highest possible note, one time slurring and a second time tonguing the notes. Prepare a major or minor scale of choice.
2. PERCUSSION: Prepare two major or minor scales of choice.
3. STRINGS: Prepare two major scales of choice, one in a sharp key and one in a flat key. Students auditioning for an advanced group must include a third scale of choice in a minor key and 2 minutes of solo work.
Please review the Audition instructions link above for more detailed guidelines by ensemble level and instrument. Email email@example.com with any additional questions.
Good luck! You may be asked to perform a live audition and sight read at a later date.