COVID-19 Safety Procedures
In order to operate safely and in accordance with local, state, and federal public health guidelines during the current global pandemic, the CSYSA has implemented the following procedures with which all students, families, and staff are required to comply.
1. Mask Requirements:
Unvaccinated students are REQUIRED to wear a cloth face covering while at CSYSA activities. Families must provide a face covering for their student. Students are required to wear masks in rehearsals, based on scientific studies of aerosolized particles (NFHS/Boulder, BBE), unless actively playing a woodwind or brass instrument.
Vaccinated students are NOT required to wear a cloth face covering while on CSYSA premises. However, if a student is more comfortable wearing a mask, they are welcome to do so.
Based on scientific studies by the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the Cleveland Clinic, students who have had COVID-19 have naturally acquired immunity for at least up to 8 months after sickness, and it is recommended that they wear a mask while at CSYSA activities.
2. If any sickness is detected before coming to any CSYSA event (fever, dry cough, sore throat, shortness of breath), they should stay home. If the student has had any contact with someone with COVID-19, they should stay home.
3. If any unvaccinated student has had contact with another person who is suspected or verified to be positive for COVID-19, they should stay home until a negative test result can be obtained.
4. While at any CSYSA event, students must report any sickness that they feel immediately. If sickness is recognized, student will be isolated and a call will be placed for immediate parent/guardian pickup.
5. Students must disinfect hands before entering the building, preferably before getting out of the car. They must disinfect or wash hands for at least 20 seconds after coughing or sneezing.
6. Students must stay with their musical group and not mix with musicians from other ensembles.
7. Instrument Specific Requirements:
Vaccinated students are not required to wear a mask at any CSYSA activities or rehearsals.
Unvaccinated students are required to wear a mask unless actively playing a woodwind or brass instrument. Masks should be re-affixed between playing periods.
All brass players must bring their own water cloth. Disposable cloths are preferred. Water keys must not be emptied onto the floor.
Woodwind players must not blow out instrument holes and reeds may not be shared.
8. Any unvaccinated student who has been instructed to quarantine by their school due to exposure to a COVID-positive student must also quarantine from CSYSA activities during their quarantine period (14 days), regardless of negative test results and lack of symptoms. If your school has gone online and there is not specific quarantine direction from the school to the student, you may still attend CSYSA activities.
9. CSYSA rehearsals will be limited to 100 people in each large rehearsal room. This includes conductors, parent managers, coaches, and staff. We ask Parent Managers to keep track of the number of people in the rehearsal room. Full orchestras (Ovation & Youth Symphony) will be divided into subgroups by conductors each week to ensure that the capacity of 100 people is not exceeded.
10. Families must continue to immediately report positive tests to the CSYSA. Any student who is known to have been exposed to someone who tested positive must enter a two week quarantine period and may not attend CSYSA activities, regardless of symptoms and test status.
11. With absences expected to increase due to quarantine, the CSYSA will continue to implement a video system for rehearsals that will allow students to observe rehearsals remotely, using Zoom.
The CSYSA may modify or update these guidelines as regulations change and as more accepted scientific information becomes available regarding the effects and spread of the disease.